Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Iced Chocolate Coffee

The other morning I made a pot of coffee. I made my cup up as usual by putting a good amount of vanilla creamer in, adding coffee, and stirring. I knew something was off with the first sip. Checked the bag of coffee and, lo and behold, I had gotten a bag of dark roast. 

So what does one do with a pot of super strong coffee? Stick it in the fridge for iced coffee later, of course!

After spending some time on Pinterest, looking for the perfect recipe for iced coffee/ frappes, I decided to come up with something of my own. It turned out so good, I immedietly made myself a second one!

Here's what I did:

First, I mixed a good tablespoon of cacao powder with hot water. This makes it a creamy paste and it won't be gritty in the final product. 

Then, using my Tribest Personal Blender, I mixed the cacao paste with coffee, milk, and agave nectar. When mixed, this concoction becomes super frothy and delicious. Finally, I added a few ice cubes and mixed again. Delicious! 

For the second iced coffee, I added a crumbled Oreo in with the ice. I probably won't do that again. The cream part didn't mix in that well and ended up being cold, greasy climbs. Blech!

Here's the recipe (sans Oreo):


  • 6 oz cold, strong coffee
  • 4 oz milk ( I used 2 %)
  • 2 T cacao powder + enough hot water to make a paste
  • 2 T agave nectar
  • ice cubes (use as many as you want to get the thickness you desire. I use just enough to make it super cold without making it too "icy")
First, stir together cacao and hot water from the tap. Next, add coffee, milk, cacao paste, and agave to your a blender. Blend well. It will foam up and become beautiful. Finally, add in ice and mix to desired consistency. I like adding the ice last, as I can mix the other ingredients really well without shredding the ice to nothingness. 

That's it! Here's what it looks like:



Sorry for the crap quality. I was fighting horrible lighting and the desire to drink my coffee ASAP. 


Don't you just love the foamy/ creamy top that's created when you blend milk and coffee together? It's something magical....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!